Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 2015 08:25:41 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Eric Badger <eric@badgerio.us>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filepaths in VM map for tmpfs files

On Thursday, February 05, 2015 10:37:55 AM Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 10:15:04AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> > > There is no useful documentation for the kern.proc. sysctls.
> > > My word (and statements from other involved developers) could be
> > > considered as close to the truth as it can be.
> > > Somebody taking the efforts to document the stuff would make very
> > > valuable contribution.
> >
> > I think that kve_path should be valid for all types (e.g. shm_open()
> > is not a vnode but has a pathname, and that should be fixed to display
> > if possible). In the equivalent for files (kinfo_file), the pathname
> > is type-independent and always valid.
>
> Well, this means that it should be valid for vnodes and shm.  My point
> is that kvme_vn_path should be used only after the check for type.
> We can and do set it to nul string, but using the path unconditionally
> is a bug in the user code.

The problem is that shm's can have different types (DEFAULT vs SWAP vs PHYS).
:)  For kinfo_file, tools like fstat always print kf_path regardless of type.
I do think it would be more consistent if the path in a kvme worked the same
way.  Then you don't have to update all the tools each time a type starts
populating the path.

> > That said, I think tmpfs nodes should be exposed as files. It is an
> > implementation detail of tmpfs that they are swap-backed, but from a
> > user's perspective these are files, and if you want to expose other
> > vnode-specific fields than just the path, KVME_TYPE_VNODE would be
> > more correct.
>
> I agree, but doing it is not easy, since there might be no vnode
> to get the required information from.  We do know that this swap
> object is for tmpfs node, but currently we only store pointer to
> object in the node, not pointer to node from the object.  When the
> vnode exists, pointer to vnode is stored in the object.
>
> To fix the issue, we should store pointer to node. Code was not done
> this way, because VM code  which handles special-case for OBJT_TMPFS,
> would need to know tmpfs internals. Right now, code knows about vnodes
> anyway, so object->vnode does not bring tmpfs internals into vm.

I'm more arguing in support of your original proposal.  Doing a best effort if
the vnode exists would certainly be an improvement over what we have now.

--
John Baldwin