Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 16:31:50 -0800
From:      Ron Rosson <insane@oneinsane.net>
To:        Shan-Min Chao <shanmin@lvdi.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP

Sounds like you are doing this via command prompt and aint scripted yet.
Going by what you said.. it sounds like you need to tyep:
	add 0 0 HISADDR to get your route started.
also make sure your ppp is PPP which means ppp is in packet mode.
If you were a little more explicit on how you were making the connection and what commands
you were sending and if you were doing it via the term built in to ppp.

Ron

On Mon, Jan 05, 1998 at 02:46:22PM -0800, Shan-Min Chao wrote:
> Hi!
>     I am a beginner at FreeBSD and have some questions concerning logging on
> to my ISP.  I currently have the FreeBSD 2.2.2 CD from Walnut Creek.
> I have installed the OS without any real problems.  I tried to dial in using
> by US Robotics X2 on Com2 using the PPP->term->atdt commands.  It would dial
> in fine, and give me an IP address.  When I push "alt-F2" to go to my other
> terminal screen, and tried to ping yahoo.com, I would get a "no route to
> host" error message.  Same thing happens to every ping, ftp, and traceroute
> I would attempt.  The only configuration I have made to my modem is through
> the /stand/sysinstall utility.
> My ISP does dynamix IP addressing, so I put .lvdi.net under the host name
> (lvdi.net is my ISP's domain).
> Do you people have any idea what i should do to connect properly?  Can you
> be specific in your answers?  I would really appreciate any help, as my UNIX
> education would greatly expand once I get internet access through my UNIX
> OS.  Thank you very much for your time.

Ron Rosson              ... and a UNIX user said ...
rlr@n2.net                        rm -rf *
insane@oneinsane.net      and all was null and void