Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 22:44:20 -0500
From:      Al Johnson <Al.Johnson@AJC.State.Net>
To:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   What I consider and odd install

Hey folks,

I've been among the FreeBSD ranks for some time now but I've got my self
in a spot I can't figure my way out of.  I've got 3 machines running
2.2.2-RELEASE all the time.  Dedicated disk (no funky partitions) serving
specific purposes.  My problem is that two of them are 486's and one is a
Pentium 75.

Needless to say it's difficult to keep current on machine like this when a
make includes;make world takes somewhere around 14 hours.

Now to the problem.  I've a GW2K Pentrium Pro 180 that I want to use for
compiles of any package.  It's got a 3.8GB EIDE Disk and CDROM.  I've also
got an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI with a 1GB fixed disk, 8G tape unit, 135Syquest
(ya I know), and 1G Jaz drive.  I want FreeBSD on the Jaz drive since I
won't be using it all the time (The machine runs mostly Win95...uggg)

No matter what I do I can't get the FreeBSD boot manager to give me the
option of booting from the JAZ drive.  I've gone thru and made sure it's
BIOS recognized.  The order displayed at boot time is: C:3.8GB EIDE D:1GB
Seagate, 82h JAZ, 83h EZ135.

Any suggestions as to a solution or pointers to where I can get more info
would be greatly appreciated.  I'm really interested in seeing just how
well FreeBSD run when it's allowed to open up an a PPro 180 with 64MB of
memory as opposed to my 486/66 with 16MB.

Thanks for the help,

 -- Al

-------
Al Johnson Consulting