Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:37:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Tim Oneil <toneil@visigenic.com>
Cc:        Prisoner <spatula@gulf.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and Diamond Speedstar Pro

On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Tim Oneil wrote:

> At 11:38 AM 2/19/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >> I never use Diamond (or any video card sporting the cirrus logic chipset)
> >> Too many woes with that card. Run away from CL video cards like the plague.
> >> I try to use ATI when I can. I've always had good success with ATI cards.
>
> >   Diamonds, at least the ones I've used, use the S3 chipset, and work
> >beautifully.
>
> Hmm, thats interesting. I'm quite sure the cards I had problems with
> were using CL chipsets. I know becuase now whenever I shop for graphics

Diamond has never had a lot of dedication to any one chipset.  They
started off with ET4000, then did some S3 and CL chipset video cards,
before coming out with a PCI card.  The Diamond Stealths are mostly S3,
the Diamond Spider is CL.  Oh, and now they've got a card or two based on
the ARK chipsets.  All my PCI video cards (1 (Trio64, 2 868's, and one
Virge/SGRAM) are Diamond, though that's coincidence, I'm more loyal to S3
than Diamond.