Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 1995 15:19:05 EST
From:      M C Wong <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com (freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com)
Subject:   funny characters when dial-up

Hi,
  I set up dial-up on 1.1.5.1 with a 14.4K modem, and upon connection
  made, it just sits there and hangs without giving me the login prompt.
  Instead, after idle for some moments, I start getting funny characters
  echoed back to me whenever I press on any key on the keyboard. Most
  noticeably is that return becomes ~M and all sorts of wrong characters
  get echoed back. However, if I kill the getty listening on the dial-in
  modem, it will return me a proper login prompt without dropping connection
  and I was able to login successfully.

  Any idea what is wrong ? Why the first getty job not giving me the correct
  response, but have to wait for me to kill it and respawn to talk correctly
  with the dial-out modem ? Does the first getty assume a wrong speed when
  it is started ?

  Thanks in advance.