Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 96 16:10:33 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        mango@staff.communique.net, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help 'no buffer available'!!

> >My kernel details"
> >
> >options     "CHILD_MAX=512"
> >options     "OPEN_MAX=1024"
> >options     "MAXMEM=262144"
> >options     "NMBCLUSTERS=4096"
> >options     "EXTRAVNODES=30000"   <----- this is not a real option on
> >2.1.6
> >options     "NBUF=4096"
>
>    I don't know off hand what is causing your problem, but you definately
> don't want NBUF=4096. There is no reason for it and it will consume a
> tremendous amount of virtual memory in 2.1.x.

I have noticed I get the "No buffer space" under several conditions, most
of which involve "stalls" of networking stuff.

An enabled de interface with nothing connected will cause this.
A sl interface that got flow controlled will often get wedged in this state.

Usually downing and up'ping the interface will clear the condition.

... Joe