Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 12:53:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Patrick R. Montgomery" <103007.526@compuserve.com>
Cc:        All <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: System Boot Problems

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Patrick R. Montgomery wrote:

> I am having some serious problems getting my system to boot up in FreeBSD
> version 2.2.1 or 2.2.5.  I have tried installing both versions and I get
> the same result.  After going through almost the entire boot process, I get
> a panic:cannot mount root error.  Could somebody please shed some light on
> how to get around this issue or how to resolve the problem.

I'll save you the search :-) :

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).