Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:14:40 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Christopher Palmer <cpalmer@jig.ordway.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too many links

In the last episode (Apr 12), Christopher Palmer said:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > Seriously, it's a performance issue.  The current limit is in
> > /usr/include/sys/syslimits.h:
> >
> > #define	LINK_MAX		32767	/* max file link count */
> >
> > Theoretically you could just increase this value and 'make world', but
> > you might run into int overflow problems.  I certainly think that
> > there are better alternatives to this issue than adding yet more
> > directories to one which is too full already.
>
> Yikes! Is this a filesystem-wide limit (not more than 32767 files/dirs
> total) or a directory-specific limitation (not more than 32767 files/dirs
> per dir)?

Neither.  The limit is "not more than 32767 links on a single inode".
The original poster was getting this message when he created 32767
subdirectories off a single parent.  "." in the parent has to link to
".." in each child.  That's where he's getting his error.

I imagine he's getting horrible delays in lookup up files though.  Most
companies bypass this by creating a multlevel directory tree when they
have to manage thousands of users (Netcom's FTP site, for example, puts
"bob"'s ftp site in /pub/bo/bob).

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com