Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:39:48 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: which branch?

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
> Bleh...
>
> Just a matter of using different words that mean the same thing.
No! To the newcomers, the WORDS have conotations. Historically, the developers
have established a terminology that confuses new users and causes them to
choose the wrong version.
To most new users,
STABLE is something that is ready for PRODUCTION use.
CURRENT is the a recent release.
DEVELOPMENT, ALPHA, BETA, etc. are pre-release.

If we want to grow market share (and we NEED that if FreeBSD is to be more than
a sandbox), the first impression is important.

I think that it is important PR to change the name of the head branch.

> >Speaking of mailing lists, we REALLY need an additional list. It is
> >unfair, and confusing, to have no solidly distinct lists for the 3.x, 4.x
>  >and 5.x branches.
>
> What makes it confusing.  There is a distinct list for 5.x, but having 3.x
> and 4.x stable on the same list should help migration, IMO.

People are accustomed to using "current" for 4.x. They should not have to
change mailing lists just because a new head branch was developed.

As for "volume" of mail on stable, there are a number of readers who don't want
to be bothered with the still high volume of problems that are occuring in
4.0-UNSTABLE.

Heads-up messages should correspond 1-1 with the repository commits.
To change both 3.x and 4.x requires two separate commits. Therefore there
should be two messages (one to each list)

> Those that are migrating have no need to track and later change to a
> different list.

I don't suggest that they do. When migrating, they should join and review
the list of the new system.

> Fact of the matter is that if, when subscribing, the subscriber actually
> read what the list if for, then they would know which list(s) to subscribe
> to.  Changing the names would do little for this.  Using the release number
> might help, but then we all know that someone will be asking the where and
> when of the 5.x version.  "Well, it was the highest number."

Actually, I would make 5.x a weak alias to the development list. and turn it
into a real list (advertise its existence, etc) only when we approach the
testing phase before a release.

>  > To be fair we would need a 2-stable list.

I see no problem with that. It would have virtually no traffic except for
security announcements, etc. OTOH, it could also become an alias to the
"unsupported" list.

> Leave -current alone and should a 3-stable and 4-stable appear, they will
> just end up in the same folder.

I don't think that is the best approach for the NON-DEVELOPER newbies.
It's far easier to get knowledgable developers to make a one-time change than
it is to keep repeating the FAQ to newbies over and over.