Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:30:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compiler and network problems since update

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr wrote:

DHCP and PXE-boot function normal after a reboot - it seems, that
FreeBSD has some problems when changing IPFW rulesets ...
But it is still worth to mention, that TFTP takes longer than
before (using exactly the same config as before).

:>
:>
:>[-Stable trimmed]
:>
:>2 problems :
:>- PXE booting which does no longer work (I'm myself
:>investigating the case, as the rc* files for 4.2-Release are broken)
:>

This sounds not very good to me :-(
The mainboard is a ASUS P2B Dual board, memory is APACER quality module
2x 256MB PC133 -222 SDRAM, but I try to use them with the fastest options
I could obtain by BIOS. The CPUs, 2x 600MHz KATMAI PIII seem to be all right,
although one of them is much more "heated" like the other one .. (it is
the CPU next the raer of the box ...) I do not know why, so this could
be an indication for some problems.
All other aspects, cooling etc, are all right, except power supply.
Hope I can figure out what's wrong ...

Thanks a lot ...
:>- Signal 11 when building world : this is **usually** the mark of
:>marginal hardware, which runs ok when no loads are applied
:>on the system, but fails when a big computation like "make world"
:>runs. The solution can be : use a better power supply (perhaps
:>also a stronger one), check your RAM, do not overclock your CPU,
:>check the fan on the CPU, ...
:>
:>     TfH
:>
:>
:>
:>
:>"O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de> on 12/02/2001 13:15:40
:>
:>
:>
:> To:      freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
:>
:> cc:      freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG(bcc: Thierry
:>          HERBELOT/FR/ALCATEL)
:>
:>
:>
:> Subject: compiler and network problems since update
:>
:>
:>
:>
:>
:>
:>Dear Sirs.
:>
:>Maybe it is only a kind of subjective impression or some kind of bad
:>luck, but since last week, after a cvsupdate and buldworld, I have
:>problems with TFTP and diskless clients. The phenomenon is that PXE
:>booting X stations run into a TFTP timeout when trying to boot.
:>I didn't change the configuration, but compiled new kernels and
:>installed the binaries proper on all systems (on the bootserver also).
:>I recompiled the DHCP server and installed it, too.
:>
:>Another problem concerns to buildworld. Sometimes we have on our
:>server a buildworld running an some other climate research programs.
:>I realized that when these programs are running (compiled with Lahey
:>Fortran 95 for Linux) FreeBSD's gcc stops compiling with an error
:>SIG 11. This occurs many times. One time I realized a reset of the
:>server.
:>What are the causes of this failure? Hardware? A memory leak? A
:>bug in FreeBSD? Is there a kind of strategy to come closer to this problem?
:>I'm not very firm in debugging, so I have to ask for that.
:>
:>Thanks,
:>Oliver
:>
:>--
:>MfG
:>O. Hartmann
:>
:>ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
:>----------------------------------------------------------------
:>IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
:>----------------------------------------------------------------
:>Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
:>Becherweg 21
:>55099 Mainz
:>
:>Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)
:>Tel: +496131/3924144
:>FAX: +496131/3923532
:>
:>
:>
:>To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
:>with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message
:>
:>
:>
:>