Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:33:08 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Pavlykevych <pam@polynet.lviv.ua>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Q]: Piping from syslogd to program

Hello everybody!

Are there any special tricks to be done to have program which is run by
syslogd  and piping logs through it?

I have pipe program which works perfectly while run in shell pipeline
like:
zcat /var/log/messages.0.gz | my-program >> result.log

But it causes message "exec my-program >> result.log: Resource temporarily
unavailable" to be logged by syslogd when run from syslog.conf:

*.*				| exec my-program >> result.log

program is perl script in the form of:

open(LOG, "/dev/stdin")
open(OUT, "| another-program");

while(<LOG>) {
	print OUT "Some info";
	print "Errors";
}

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Adrian Pavlykevych 			email: 		<pam@polynet.lviv.ua>
System Administrator			phone/fax:	+380 (322) 742041
State University "Lvivska Polytechnica"