Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:17:29 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        sobomax@FreeBSD.org, knu@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Qt2X business (KDE2, GL support and XFree86 4.0.2_2+ & xthreads)

--J8s6RXZ0qXX3csY9

[ Maxim Sobolev & Akinori MUSHA-san Cc:'d since I believe this email
  applies to them but not sure about others so ports gets audience too ]

Hello all,

As far as I can tell, there is no way to build KDE2 with XFree86 4.0.2
when it has threads and Qt requires GL to be linked to it.  The only
solution I can see at this point is to simply remove GL support from the
default QT library but instead put it in a separate library.  My
suggestion is this:  How about removing the GL support from the default
libqt2.so, but leaving it in libqt2-mt.so?  Has anyone tried testing
whether the stuff in our tree that requires libqt2 with GL works with
the threaded version?  I.e. right now the qt2X ports install both a
libqt2.so and a libqt2-mt.so (non-threaded and threaded version), and I
think that it makes more sense simply to leave GL out of the non-threads
version, but only if the threads version works (ie: functionality) with
the ports that require GL support in Qt.  If they don't.. I guess that
means I will need to figure out a way to get libqtgl back.  Some people
wanted -thread in Qt before, so I'm not sure it's a good idea just to
nuke that part (and won't solve the problem anyway since it's really GL
in XFree86 4.0.2+ that's causing the problem).

Oh, and don't forget that I'm talking about packages here.  I'd really
like for Qt to still be usable packagewise.  So I'm not really
interested in compile-time ".if defined(NO_MESA)" or similar... even at
the expense of an additional huge library (see libqtgl idea above).

Please let me know.  We don't have much time left.

--=20
wca

P.S.  Statements such as "KDE sucks!" or similar will be summarily
      ignored and your opinion will not count when I make a decision.  :)
      I.e. I may just decide to nuke GL at your expense.  :)
      This means you Maxim!  ;-)

--J8s6RXZ0qXX3csY9

--J8s6RXZ0qXX3csY9--