Date:      Tue, 06 Sep 2005 06:58:09 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        bsd <bsd@todoo.biz>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem when making index in /usr/ports

bsd wrote:
> I no longer have the Japanese error, I have the arabic error no !!
>
>> Generating INDEX-5 - please wait..kde-i18n-3.4.2: "/usr/ports/
>> arabic/kde3-i18n" non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
>> ===> misc/kde3-i18n failed
>> *** Error code 1

yup, it *isn't* a 'japanese' port issue (or arabic) - something in your
system is telling it not to download certain ports, but the dependencies
tell the system it needs them.

>> Before reporting this error, verify that you are running a supported
>> version of FreeBSD (see http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/) and that you
>> have a complete and up-to-date ports collection.  (INDEX builds are
>> not supported with partial or out-of-date ports collections -- in
>> particular, if you are using cvsup, you must cvsup the "ports-all"
>> collection, and have no "refuse" files.)

You most probably have a refuse file in place. every time I encountered
this problem, it was that. You can either try removing the language
(actually, the section of the ports tree) in question from the refuse
file, but you'll have this problem again sooner or later. You can simply
   get rid of the refuse file altogether (it isnt that much of a
bandwidth saver really), or:

>> Note: the latest pre-generated version of INDEX may be fetched
>> automatically with "make fetchindex".

run 'make fetchindex' after you update with cvsup. (which means you'll
download the binary index from the cvsup server...so whatever you save
by not downloading the language specific ports, you are probably using
it here...

> Which steps do you think I should take to get rid of this error... ??

as above.
Beto