Date:      16 Feb 1998 21:20:36 -0600
From:      Dave Marquardt <marquard@zilker.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: running the same binaries on 2.2 and 3.0

"Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com> writes:
> I have some programs (like gnu fileutils) on a common area I want to
> share between 3.0 and 2.2 (I compiled them on 3.0).
>
> On a 2.2 system (10/14/96 snap) I get:
>
> bash-2.01# mv kernel /kernel.none
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "_lchown" called from mv:mv at 0xe0e4
>
> The copy worked, the unlink didn't.
>
> Should this happen?

I don't know about "should", but in my mind, a program compiled on 3.0
needn't run on 2.2.  But a binary built on 2.2 really ought to run on
3.0, if we're to have any inkling of binary compatibility between
versions.

So my advice is to build the program on 2.2 and try running it on 3.0
and see if that works.

-Dave