Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 08:47:45 -0500
From:      rj@cadre.com (Rob deFriesse)
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic early in installation.

David Greenman wrote:

> Just a hint: there use to be bugs in the code when getting size
> information for certain types of disk drives...it would get 0 in some
> cases and when the kernel then tried to calculate some other values
> with this, it would divide by 0 and get the divide fault. You might
> consider disabling your disks one at a time until you find the one
> causing the problem. It's probably the IDE drive, so I'd start with
> that.
>
> -DG

Thank you, David.  It did turn out to be caused by one of my drives.
Unfortunately, it's one of the SCSI drives that I would prefer not to
remove from the system.

Q. Will I ever be able to use this drive?

Q. If I install the system on another drive and rebuild the kernel, will
   I be able to use the drive?

Q. If not, would getting one of the SNAPs (e.g. 2.0-950322-SNAP) fix
   the problem?

Thank you for your help.

I'm attaching my original message in case the information is useful.
-----

--
Rob deFriesse                    Mail:    Rob.deFriesse@cadre.com
Cadre Technologies Inc.          Phone:   (401) 351-5950