Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 16:51:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        grog@lemis.de, jdunham@fc.net, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XF86 & fvwm Problem, Help? (fwd)

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	Doesn't this tips (saved from a posting last June) sum
> 	it up::
>
> 	   After adding the following line to /etc/ttys
>
> 	   ttyv3 "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure
>
> 	   I found the X11 login screen appeared after bootup was completed.

 that will work .. however .. to disable it.. you have to take the
 line out of /etc/ttys and then kill -HUP 1 . I believe it is easier
 to put it in /etc/rc.local like this :

 echo -n ' xdm' ; /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm &

 Because then you can kill off the parent xdm process and it goes
 away. xdm is designed to respawn for you.. you don't need to have
 init do it using the ttys.

> 	This--setting up xdm to allow me to use the standard virtual
> 	consoles--remains one of my tweaks.  I've found that pkg_add
> 	is one of the utilities that doesn't work correctly from an
> 	xterm.  I was fumbling around, looking for netscape and arena
> 	and other packages.

 HUHUHUH!?!?! I have used pkg_add more times than I care to count in
 an xterm.. .as a matter of fact.. I have used pkg_manage in an xterm
 and that has a Graphical User Interface... no colors but it works!
 You're not doing somthing right here.

> 	Having multiple terms is a major win; and having to reboot,
> 	single-user, to get the console display is a pain.  Adding
> 	the ttyv3 line to /etc/ttys should do it.  Hopefully... !

you don't have to reboot! ... use <ctrl> <Alt> <f[1-3]> to get back to
the consoles. and use <alt> <f4> to get back to X! Mabey I am missing
somthing ... but I don't think so.

 -branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?