Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 1995 13:00:10 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
Cc:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: libcompat and shlib conflict

> >A program compiled with a static libcompat as opposed to a dynamic
> >libcompat is more likely to correctly match another platforms ABI
> >in any case.  Not only are we not guaranteed that the external
> >globals linked into your program and referenced by the libcompat
> >routines will be the same on another platform (causing their shared
> >libcompat to fail), but the cruft in libcompat is likely as not
> >going to be different from vendor to vendor anyway.
>
> If you look in, you can see, that other platforms do just the same thing,
> only one condition needs to be present: regerror module itself
> must be placed before regex module, as already done.

You didn't understand what Terry was saying.  There is no guarantee that
the same modules exist in a different vendor's libcompat.

> >The cost of the cruft should be bourne by the crufty program.
>
> Too many crufty pgms in the world. You don't have enough power
> to teach whole world which functions to use.

So, does that mean we shouldn't at least try?  We continue to provide
libcompat, just not a shared version.  This means that binaries compiled
with -lcompat will be *more* portable across multiple vendors and
releases than version relying on the shlib providing the old interfaces.

Nate