Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 01:46:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

> [Some great Terry invective elided]
>
> I can only repeat my earlier statement: Experience has shown us that
> the benefit-to-risk ratio of /usr/src/games is low.  Period.  I don't
> personally care about the degree of emotional attachment you or anyone
> else here has to them because I do not regard this as an issue to be
> debated on emotional grounds - save that for the anti-abortion debates
> because this is just a collection of bits who's "standardness" is
> entirely secondary to their function and can always be loaded as a
> port by the aging hackers who, with the aid of a growing collection of
> "Speed Racer" cars and Mighty Mouse T-shirts, seek to recapture their
> lost youth through such nostalgia.  I'm not denying you that, Terry,
> calm yourself. :)

Fine.

While you are purging those things which make BSD into BSD, why don't
we start with killing /etc/rc in favor of /etc/rc?.d, and at least
get some technological and functional benefit out of your castration
binge?

Clearly, the standardness of /etc/rc files is entirely secondary to
their function.

Right?

Or is "Not Invented Here" stronger than "You might have to send a
letter, and if that fails, do what you're going to do anyway"?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.