Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:43:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   K7V, booting from CDROM.

Okay, I have successfully booted from CDROM on this machine.  Let me give
a quick recap of the hardware, and the necessary steps.

HW Overview:

Motherboard:          Asus K7V
Processor:            Athlon/850
Memory:               256M PC-133 3.3v unbuffered
Floppy:               LS-120 UHD floppy on IDE
SCSI:                 Adaptec 2940 UW
HDD:                  IBM 4.3G UW SCSI, Seagate 4.0G U SCSI
CDROM:                Plextor UltraPlex, UltraPlex 40max, PlexWriter 8/20
Tape:                 Archive Python DDS2 4mm SCSI

The big problem is how Adaptec remaps the CDROM drive over A: in the bios
for bootable CDs.  What I did was as follows:

Set Floppy A in BIOS on motherboard to 1.44MB floppy (was set to none)
Set halt on errors to None (was set to all)
Set first boot device to Legacy Floppy (was set to LS-120)

I turned bootable CDs to enabled on the SCSI controller, and insterted
bootable CDROM drive.

The machine will now boot from the CDROM.  I'm still unsure as to why the
FreeBSD boot floppy won't boot from the LS-120 drive.  The kernel detected
it just fine booting from the CD.  The above steps would likely allow me
to boot the Windows98 CD that failed in the same manner as the FreeBSD one
previously.  I'm curious as to why the SCSI controller's mapping of its
CDROM drive to A: in the BIOS doesn't work with the LS-120 (since the mobo
BIOS assigns it A: prior to the scsi bios being loaded).  That is outside
of the scope of the FreeBSD project.

Thanks to all for the various suggestions.  I look forward to seeing just
how fast FreeBSD is on this machine.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"