Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:35:40 +1100
From:      paul van den bergen <pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wireless monitoring of APs???

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 03:13 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:16:47PM +1100, paul van den bergen wrote:
> > How about snmp information display programs for FreeBSD?
>
> I'm working on something like this. What exactly do you want to measure
> or monitor?

Ah! yes... see, now there is the rub ;-)
I suppose it depends on your purpose.  as a fuilly featured (IP) network tool
you'd probably want some low level stats on the traffic.  for a AP/wireless
tool - well, what kismet or bsdairtools gives you.  It would also depend on
what the AP can gie you. If you can do accumulated statistics like moving
averages of interpacket (frame?) arrival times, error rate, queue or buffer
size, (being an indication of delay/saturation?), retransmittion delay,
packet size... per traffic stream ;-0

OK ok, if one could just see what other devices were out there it would be a
good start I suppose.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures