Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 14:03:58 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Matt Bartley <mbartley@lear35.cytex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: share/doc/handbook doesn't make clean

> bash# pwd
> /usr/src/share/doc/handbook
> bash# make -n clean
> bash# make clean
> bash# ls /usr/obj/usr/src/share/doc/handbook/
> handbook.ascii		handbook183.html	handbook269.html

Hmmmm!  Hmmmm!  This one doesn't make much sense since make should
have simply chdir'd over to /usr/obj/usr/src/share/doc/handbook/
as normal (as it would for any target, much less clean) and then
the clean rule should have nuked out all the files.

Still, that's two very strange problem reports in 2 days so I'm going
to now suspect that something, somewhere is chdir'ing off into space.

Give me a day or so to run a bunch of makes here and see if I can't
catch something in the act.  Despite all the contraversy surrounding
them, my changes really are very simple and there just aren't too many
ways for them to break as written, so there must be some pathological
usage of obj still lurking in the system.  I'll hunt it down.

Oh yeah, just out of curiousity, is your /usr/src really in /usr
or is it symlinked someplace?  That would tell me something.

					Jordan