Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 16:58:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Betsy Barker <ELBARKER@Oppenheimerfunds.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD run on Intel Celeron processors?

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday,  4 January 1999 at 12:07:25 -0700, Betsy Barker wrote:
> > Does the FreeBSD software run on the Intel Celeron processor?
>
> Yes.  But the Celeron is a poor choice of processor, since it has no
> cache.  You'd be better off with AMD or Cyrix.

The new Celerons have a 128K cache in them that is run at clock speed,
rather than half-clock, which makes up at least a little bit for the
smaller size.  In fact, the cacheless Celerons have already disappeared
from my normal supply sources.

Now, the K6-2 has a L1 cache half the size of the Celeron's L2 cache, and
the K6-3 should be quite impressive with on-chip L2 cache, so I'd agree
that the AMD family seems to be better than the Celeron in all non-FPU
areas, though not as overclockable.  On the other hand, I haven't seen
anything from Cyrix recently that matches the performance of either,
though I haven't kept up well at all.

Then again, I'm a stick in the mud, I'm planning on sticking with my Dual
PPro 200/512K L2 cache system until I decide that that isn't enough speed.