Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:55:47 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        David Langford <langfod@dihelix.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with over 133 virutal domains with apache on 2.1.7

At 10:13 AM 3/12/97 -1000, David Langford wrote:

>I have a problem with apache and virual domains on 2.1.7.
>
>When I add my 134'th virtual domain to apache it says it can no longer figure
>out its hostname and wants me to set ServerName

Seems to be the in thing today with virtual hosts.  ;-)

I recall when this happened, but I was at 116 or so.

>I tried setting unlimit before running with novail.
>
>Any extra tweaks I need in the kernel?

I would disable error logging for the hosts.  We turn it on by request if a
cgi is not working properly.

If you have not done so, edit /sys/sys/syslimits.h

OPEN_MAX to 256
CHILD_MAX to 128

Max users 64 or 128 (doesn't matter much), but 128 squaks "> 64".

Waiting to hear if anyone has exceeded these without any problems,
especially the OPEN_MAX value.

Pushed a server to 170 easily.  8-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990