Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 11:07:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Shane Nelson <i@spots.ab.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   modem troubles.

After installing freebsd over ftp I'm having troubles getting my modem to
work.  It works fine in win/dos still, but when i try to use it in freebsd
it doesn't respond.

I go into the ppp utility and it opens up like this:

User process PPP written by Toshinaru OHNO
log Level is 09
Can't open /etc/ppp/ppp.secret
Warning: No password entry for this host in ppp.secret
Warning: All manipulation is allowed by anyone in the world
Usring interface: tun0
Interactive mode.
ppp ON myname> show modem
device: /dev/cuaa1 speed 38400
cs8, none parity
connect count: 0
outq: 0
outqlen: 0
ppp ON myname> term

at this point... i can go into term, but the only thing that i can that
results in any reaction is type "~?" and "~." and "~p"
nothing is echoed to the screen, no AT commands ahve any response..
nothing. it just sits there with only those three commands responding.

Sometimes i can quit out of the ppp prograrm with no problems.. Othertimes
I'll type quit and it will jsut hang my system, forcing me to reboot.

My only idea is that when I installed freebsd the instalation didn't
complete properly.. It got to the point where it said it was 100% done
downloading the the man pages.. then froze. I heard my modem hang up,
waitied a bit and reboot.  I was able to bring bsd up by booting with
/kernel.GENERIC... I configured the kernel the same way i did when I
installed it, and when my  modem was working, but no
response from my modem now.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

-Shane