Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:00:02 -0800
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   help identifying gmirror, ata, or motherboard problem (Tyan S2865G2NR)

I'm having a problem with a machine that I support and would like some
feedback.

The system was built up from a barebones Transport PX22, which uses a
Tyan S2865G2NR motherboard.

It has two drives:

  ad4: 286188MB <Maxtor 6V300F0 VA111680> at ata2-master SATA300
  ad6: 286188MB <Maxtor 6V300F0 VA111630> at ata3-master SATA300

A while back I noticed in the daily periodic report that gmirror had
dropped ad4.  We rebooted and got things going again and it ran
smoothly for a month or so, then dropped it again.

At that point we did a warranty replacement of ad4 and things have
been running smoothly for a couple of months.

A few days ago gmirror kicked ad6 out of the raid, which the following
lines in dmesg:

  ad6: FAILURE - device detached
  subdisk6: detached
  ad6: detached
  GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0s1: provider ad6s1 disconnected.

We're adding an external device into the mirror and are planning to do
a warranty swap on this drive too.

The system is running, but feels sluggish.  It might be interesting to
note that the disk activity light is continuously lit.

The system if running the stock 6.1 RELEASE.

FreeBSD foo.com 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Sun May  7 04:15:57 UTC 2006     root@bloom.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  amd64

I'm trying to figure out if we've just gotten two lousy disks, or if
there might be a driver or motherboard issue.

Does any of this ring any bells?

I'm suggesting that we upgrade to the tip of the stable tree, but the
owner's not convinced.  I can't tell if there's been anything relevant
in the stable release that might address this (aside from all the
other great stuff that's in there).

Thanks for any input,

g.