Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:39:10 +0000
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk12-beta needs jfc as dependancy?

* The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> [010116 15:31]:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Rob Fuller wrote:
>

> > You need to have the swing packages on your machine before you can build jdk 1.2.2
>
> that is the point ... jfc was already installed ... even when I downloaded
> the .zip file and put it in distfiles, jdk12-beta doesn't extract it,
> since its already installed, but it fails, cause it can't find the extract
> files ...
>
> why can't it pull it from the installed location?

Who knows. Just

cd /usr/ports/java/jfc
make extract

then try building jdk1.2.2 again.

<rant>
JFC seems to suck quite hard.
13Mb download I had to sit and watch over in lynx,
(haven't had to do that since I walked out on The Penguin)

and then I can't even run the bleeding examples:

"class SwingSet not found"
(this *after* java -v clearly says 'loaded SwingSet from SwingSet.jar')

[OK, probably PEBKAC, but this was a default install.
Every other (C/Perl)-based port I use behaves itself]

And all because of Sun's licensing.
Gaah.

Jserv is quite nice though.
Maybe you should try the IBM 1.3JDK for Linux through the linuxulator;
it kicks Sun's ass. Although 30Mb is getting ridiculous.

--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns