Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2017 15:00:14 +0100
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   inetd startup script missing from /etc/rc.d in both -current and 11-stable

Hello current@,

>From https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-inetd.html I should be
able to start inetd like this:

service inetd start

...after enabling it in /etc/rc.conf. The inetd options look like this:

inetd_enable="YES"
inetd_program="/usr/sbin/inetd"
inetd_flags="-wW -C 60"

The problem is that the startup script doesn't exist in /etc/rc.d. I get
this error:

# service inetd start
inetd does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d), or is not executable

and the lines in rc.conf have no effect (inetd doesn't start).

I can, however, start it manually, as root, like this:

# inetd -wW -C 60

and it runs as expected.

This problem exists in 11-stable as well as -current. How can I fix this
please?

thanks,
--
J.