Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 23:34:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      Richard Lyon <rlyon@oznet02.ozemail.com.au>
To:        b & Jill <gasp7@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Mon, 5 May 1997, b & Jill wrote:

> hi..
>     after hearing about how great freebsd was, i decided to try it.
> so far i've had nothing but troubles in getting it to install, from the
> install script not
> really working, to the xf86config file being lost, to just a general not
> workingness (?)
> of the whole thing...

OK... How were you trying to do the install? Were you using floppies,
MS-DOS partition, CD-ROM or trying FTP? Which version of FBSD are you
trying to install? Did you use the novice installation option?

An example xf86config file is provided. You then generate your actual
config file, based on the actual setup you want. The installation of X11
under linux is similar to that used for FBSD. Which version of XFree were
you attempting to install? Have you read the README's in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc? Did you modify XF86Config.eg?

> check out the os and how it worked...i figured that with 1.5GB i
> wouldn't have any

What distributions, ports and packages were you trying to install? Most
people find 1.5 GB more than sufficient. I'm runnig X11, the usual
programs like netscape communicator, emacs, octave, XFig, Tex, Latex and
pine all in a few hundred MB. This was all installed from floppy disks (I
download files onto these at work).

I think any knowledge you picked up in LINUX is useful when setting up
FBSD. Sure some things are different, but providing you do a bit of
reading there should be no problems. Do things a single step at a time and
make sure you understand what is happening. Yes this means it will take
you a couple of days to complete the install, but you will then be very
happy with the result. Look at what applications and source code you want
to install. It is a bit wasteful to install absolutely everything.

As a matter of interest, what LINUX distribution did you install? From my
experience installing DEBIAN is about as hard as installing FBSD, but
takes longer due to the larger number of packages that must be installed
to get a reasonable system. The end result is about the same.

To get a good response from this newsgroup you need to be a lot more
specific. Start with your first problem. Read the manual and mail archives
at www.freebsd.org. People will help out when you give them exact details
of a problem.

Have fun .....

Richard.