Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 13:03:39 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        gaa@dgms.com, marki@ihug.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 Help

>My work around was to mount another file system that could mount
>correctly via the compatability devices (my zip drive: /dev/sd0)
>and create the appropriate entries as:
>	/zip/dev/
>I was then able to do "mount -u /zip/dev/wd0s3a /" and from there
>I could edit /etc/fstab and do a "MAKEDEV wd0s3{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h}".
>Perhaps you could put floppy in /dev/fd0 and make the devices
>there. (I just happened to have a freebsd zip disk handy, but not
>a freebsd floppy disk).

This method is the most general.  It always works if you have writable
media (newfs the media if necessary).

Booting with -r is simpler if the builtin root device (default wd0a)
matches the actual root device (the slice number is ignored in this
case).

>Now my question:  I can sort of understand why the devs are not created
>when one does a "MAKEDEV all" (72 entries for wd0 alone!), but why

Really making them all would give about 256K device nodes for sd alone
(512 drives * about 32 slices * 8 partitions * (raw and buffered)).

>aren't they created when one does "MAKEDEV wd0s3".  The latter only
>creates one (useless) entry: wd0s3.

wd0sN is mostly for internal use by MAKEDEV to help create only the
(useful) devices wd0s[1-4] for `MAKEDEV all'.  Use `MAKEDEV wd0s3a'
to create all the partitions.

Bruce