Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 05:37:09 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Would like suggestion for an app to write IPFW rules...

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 06:02:36AM -0500, default - Subscriptions wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I am looking for something to enhance my IPFW firewall... (or would take =
any
> other firewall under consideration if there is one that comes suggested f=
or
> this type of application) I would like a suggestion on what would be a go=
od
> program to detect attacks such as DOSes, port scans, etc., that is capable
> of writing IPFW on the fly to block the source of the attacks...
>=20
> I believe that Snort can do this, but I am not very familiar with this ki=
nd
> of firewall so...

Can be a dangerous idea, since it's usually trivial to spoof an
"attack" coming from a critical server like your DNS servers, and
cause your system to deny itself from the internet.  If you have a
'default to deny' firewall and a sensible security policy for the
remaining enabled ports then an active response doesn't really buy you
anything anyway.

Kris

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC--