Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 14:14:17 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange entries in /usr/src/Makefile

 * > I'd prefer it nuked, it just doesn't belong here.
 *
 * Then neither does the assumption in bsd.ports.mk that /usr/ports is
 * the root of the ports tree :-(.  That is after all what started this
 * about locations.

bsd.ports.mk does not assume that the ports tree is located at
/usr/ports, it is just the default and can be changed by PORTSDIR.
(Or, more precisely, PORTSDIR is set to /usr/ports in bsd.ports.mk if
not defined by the user, and that's the root of the ports tree.)

If we read bsd.port.mk from /usr/src/Makefile *before* the lines in
question, we can use PORTSDIR to build the ports as part of make
world.  But we don't.

Can I nuke them please?  The main source tree and the ports tree are
two different beasts, it just doesn't make much sense to assume
anything about where they should be on a user's machine.  Especially
if the "problem" can be solved by a 2-line shell script or a shell
command with three semicolons.

Satoshi