Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:36:44 -0700
From:      "D.M.P." <dmp@aracnet.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   US Encryption Export press-release on C-SPAN

Did anyone watch the press conference on C-SPAN today regarding US
export control of strong encryption?

I didn't catch all of it, but what I did catch was very interesting.
A guy I would assume to be Richard Armey stated that 56- and 64-bit
encryption would be "de-controlled."  I take that to mean they're
raising the "exportable encryption" bar to 64 bits.  He also said
that the licensing for export of stronger encryption would be/has
been changed to a "more business-oriented model."

Later in the press-conference, I believe it was Janet Reno who
stated that the US government has now officially recognized the
use of strong encryption by "legitimate residents" for personal
security.

In other words, the US government just updated their encryption by a
decade or three.

(For those of you who don't watch TV, or live outside the US, C-SPAN
is a cable channel dedicated to covering US Congressional proceedings
and press-conferences held by the US government.)