Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 00:31:32 -0800
From:      Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   CCD questions (news server)

I just switched over our news machine from a tired old Sun SS2 (with Weitek
upgrade) to a 133Mhz pentium with 12G of Barracudas ccd'd together,

I arbitrarily set the interleave to 64. Is there a good method to derive
the optimal interleave factor?

I'm using a flags value of zero. How can I expect flag values of CCDF_SWAP
and CCDF_UNIFORM to affect performance?

My initial experiences are very positive. The machine seems to process articles
about three to five times faster than the Sun with a load factor that never
goes above .45 (so far, only one of our incoming feeds has switched over to the
new machine).

I'm very impressed. Especially if you consider that no performance tuning of
the system or INN has been done yet. I'm not using MMAP yet because there
seems to be some question as to how well it works for INN.

Has anyone ever put together multiple machine 'news farms'? I'd like to
find out what's been done so far.

-joe