Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:46:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alex Boisvert <alex@gel.usherb.ca>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BISS-AWT 0.94

Hello everybody -

I've just finished compiling BISS-AWT 0.94 on my FreeBSD machine here.
Some of you many not know about BISS-AWT so that's why I'm posting...

BISS-AWT is a replacement for Sun's AWT package.  It provides many
enhanced "widgets" and tools for Java developpers and it's *much* faster
than Sun's AWT.  Among other things, BISS includes JDE, a pure java
integrated environment/source editor/widget layout editor.

Also, BISS-AWT includes a native layer (peers and such) for Kaffe 0.92
which means that we can now use Kaffe and have a nice GUI.  BTW: It's now
compatible with the JDK 1.1.x event model.

A few pointers (might not have been updated since the latest BISS-AWT
release, though...):

Home page:   http://www.biss-net.com
FTP mirrors:  http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/Mirrors.cgi

Note that you'll have to modify the Makefiles/source a bit to run under
FreeBSD.  Ask me for details...

>From what I've tried, it won't run all of your existing Java apps
(emulating Sun's AWT widgets/peers) but if you use BISS-AWT explicitly in
your apps, it shines.

Regards,
Alex Boisvert