Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:11:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jesus.monroy@usa.net (Jesus Monroy)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Re: [Re: My FreeBSD Experience ]]

> > There is a difference between taking away options, and taking away
> > useless options.
> >
> > For example, it should be impossible to install x86 FreeBSD without
> > writing a DOS partition table and a DOS-capable MBR, and it should
> > be impossible to install Alpha FreeBSD without a similar DEC-UNIX
> > compatible record.  That the tools permit something like that
> > occuring at all is a commentary on the foibles of the tools.
>
>     Wait, I disagree with you Terry. I beleive the issue
>     one using a DOS-capable MBR is pretty well in-hand.
>     The way the installation currently works you get
>     a DOS-capable MBR bt default.
>
>     The install script goes out of it's way to say
>     "don't do this", then "do you really want to do this?",
>     "Are you really sure you want to do this?".
>
>     If after these install steps the installer blows,
>     then we really can't help them.

Which is really the whole point.  Part of usability is supportability.

I am vehemently against desktop themese for this reason; I keep
imagining the following nightmare, over and over:

U:	So why is it doing the wrong thing when it boots?
S:	Because you have a bad boot configuration file; if
	we delete it, everything should be OK.
U:	How do I do that?
S:	Well, first double-click the little computer icon...
U:	I don't have a little computer icon.
S:	What icon do you click to get at the icon you click to
	get at your printer settings?
U:	Barney.
S:	OK, double-click "Barney"...
U:	OK.
S:	Now locate the file named "boot-config.txt"
U:	I don't have one.
S:	You have to have one, given the symptoms you describe.
U:	Wait; I have two "boot-config" files, is one of them it?
S:	I don't know.  Click the "View" menu, and select "Preferences"
U:	OK.
S:	What's the "hide known file extensions" checkbox setting?
U:	It says "Yes, I want to confuse the hell out of support
	people and myself, if at all possible".
S:	Uncheck that checkbox, and click "OK".
U:	OK.  Now I have a "boot-config.bak" and a "boot-config.txt".
S:	OK, drag the "boot-config.txt" over to the trash can icon.
U:	I don't have a trash can icon.
S:	Black hole?
U:	No.
S:	Paper shreader?
U:	No.
S:	Recycle bin?
U:	No.
S:	Beaker of acid?
U:	Yes.
S:	Drag it over to that...
U:	OK.  It's printing...
S:	...

And on and on...

The only way you prevent this sort of crap is by not enabling it
in the first place.

If you have an option that can result in the system not working,
don't offer it to the user.

A friend of mine recent upgraded from 2.something release to
3.something release.  This is a UNIX engineer who has decases of
computer experience under his belt.  It took him, literally, 3
tries and about 6 hours to do this supposedly simple task.  This
was primarily the fault of the boot block changes, the fact that
by default, the "obviously correct action" in a number of areas
was the wrongest possible thing you could do (luckily, he had
tape backups of his /usr -- I told you he had experience), and
the /etc reorganization being poorly supported on upgrade.

If a UNIX engineer has this sort of trouble, then an ordinary
mortal who is not even UNIX literate is going to have a much worse
time of it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---