Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:18:11 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        wc.bulte@chello.nl
Cc:        Shawn Barnhart <swb@grasslake.net>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

> Some of the early DAC960s (below a specific buildnr) cannot be upgraded past
> 2.x firmware. I went through this exercise once with a DEC StorageWorks
> RAidarray 230 which is also a DAC960 based array.

Actually, the issue is much simpler than this (with the PCI adapters) -
the 2.x firmware fits in one flash part, while the 3.x firmware needs
two.  Many of the 2.x-vintage adapters around have two sockets, but the
2.x firmware doesn't know how to talk to the second one to step you up to
3.x.

In other words, unless you go to Mylex and buy a 2.x-3.x upgrade kit (new
chips), you have to stay with 2.x.