Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 02:31:16 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Mike Nealey <mnealey@bilbo.neurotech.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ncr SCSI PCI card problems...

On Jan 24, 18:22, Mike Nealey wrote:
} Subject: ncr SCSI PCI card problems...
} Hello all,
} 	I seem to be having a problem with my ncr SCSI PCI card. I have
} an ncr 810 PCI controller on a PCI motherboard which does have the onboard
} BIOS. When I install FreeBSD 2.1 on the system I get an I/O error whenever I
} try to run a program which writes to the hard drive. I have played around
} with the motherboard settings, etc... but I can't get it to work.

Please be more specific about the error you see.
What is the exact message written ?

} 	The card works without problems with DOS and Linux, but I would
} rather use FreeBSD.

It should work well, provided the interrupt is
configured correctly (in the PCI BIOS). Could
you please send the probe line corresponding
to the ncr0 device and disk drive sd0.

DOS and Linux (depending on driver version) don't
try to initiate fast synchronous transfers. For
that reason, they don't require as good cables and
terminators on the SCSI bus, and are more tolerant
against (slight) configuration errors.

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160