Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 23:08:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any reason not to remove /usr/obj/* ? (fwd)

The definitive answer from Wes Peters--he forgot to include
freebsd-questions on the cc: line, so here it is.  I put his
name in the "From" line.

	Annelise

Doug White commented from on high:
 % If you're not doing any 'make world's, then /usr/obj is destroyable.

Annelise Anderson writes:
 > I would like some clarification on this.  There seem to be about 150
 > megabytes in my /usr/obj.  I thought this was created as an intermediate
 > step in the make world process.  Would leaving it there shorten the time
 > on a subsequent make world, or does everything in any case get remade?
 > If so, the only purpose of keeping these around is as a "spaceholder"
 > for a future made world.

As the name implies, /usr/obj is a place where the intermediate object
files that make up the commands, utilities, etc. are placed.  If you
change 10% of the system source between 'make world' commands, you only
need to regenerate 10% of the object files, the rest remain untouched.
If you remove /usr/obj, you will have to remake 100% of the object
files, at a cost of extra computing cycles, disk I/Os, etc.

In short: if you've got the disk space and are going to be rebuilding
the world, leave 'em.  If you need the disk space, grab it.  If you're
undecided, buy a Jaz drive and a cartrige for /usr/obj.  ;^)