Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 16:41:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Shaun <sfinn@thecore.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: ac does not work in FreeBSD 2.2.2

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Doug White wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > How can this be that ``ac'' does not show anything while ``last'' works?
>
> Because you have to turn on accouting.
>
> man accton

Actually I don't believe the 'ac' command has anything to do with
the 'accton' command. According to the man pages on 'ac' and 'last',
they both depend on being able to read /var/log/wtmp. I am not sure
why one would work while the other wouldn't though. Neither are suid
and if one can see the file the other should as well. Make sure you
don't have 'ac' aliased. I have shot myself in the foot a few times
aliasing commands without realizing it right away.

| Shaun M. Finn                    TechnoCore Communications, Inc. |
| sfinn@thecore.com                Internet Web Services & Access  |
| VOICE: (732)928-7400             P.O. Box 106                    |
|   FAX: (732)928-7402             Jackson, NJ 08527-0106          |