Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 15:52:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>, FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: what is devfs?

as far as I  know DEVFS itself is working just fine..
there was some problem with mfs and vn devices at some stage as they used
'dummy' vnodes that were set up to look like device nodes, but mfs and vn
tried to use incestuous knowledge which was no longer true and crashed..

I believe that PHKs latest chages may have made it in-necessary for mfs
and vn to do that any more..
I'll investigate and get back to you..

julian