Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:39:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

 > > Even with an UPS, a large percentage of our unclean shutdowns are power
 > > related.  Most of these are due to power outages that last longer than
 > > our UPS batteries.
 >
 > 1.5) When the UPS reports that the battery is running low, shut
 >      everything down.

1.5a tell the UPS to tell you n minutes in advance that it is going to
run out of batteries, n being the time needed to shutdown and halt all
attached machines

1.5b tell the UPS to switch itself off just before halting the
controlling machine. Tell it as well to not switch itself on unless it
has power for n minutes.

or at least, that is what we are doing here and that scheme works. If
you think you bought your UPS for nought, move to Italy :-)

Nick

--
building: 27A
address:  STA-ISIS, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy