Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 20:57:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!root.com!dg, ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers, ponds!lakes.water.net!rivers, ponds!lambert.org!terry
Subject:   "dup alloc" - nope - kern/2875 wasn't it.

Well; it's a sad day in Mudville...

Unfortunately, when I built from a pristine source base, with only
the vfs_subr.c patch; I was able to reproduce my bad inodes....
Seems that the combination of a couple of printf()s in the kernel
and that particular splbio()/splx() masks the problem just as my
printf()s in disksort did...

So, my previous elation was misplaced.

Don't misunderstand; I believe the fix needs to be there - it just
didn't address my particular problem.

I also note that vfs_subr.c, in 2.1.6.1 didn't have any splxxx() calls
in it, was a lot of work done in this area for 2.2?

Anyway - I'll keep looking for the culprit....  I have the feeling
it's something along these lines (a missing splbio(), or an splbio()/splx
mis-match.) - But, that's just a guess...

By the way; I have noticed that around the time in the newfs when
this particular block should be written; the SCSI light goes off, say,
for 1/2 second.  This seems to be rather large considering that:

	1) The length of the buf queue is never greater than 1.
	2) The blocks (during the newfs operation) are in ascending order.

 I wonder why, on a "fixit" shell when nothing else is running, the
disk drive pauses like that.   It could be related....

	- Dave Rivers -