Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:18:08 +0300
From:      Alexander Litvin <archer@lucky.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   inetd hanging

Hi, all!

We have a problem here with FBSD2.2.2. May be, a wrong place to ask for
clarification, but nevertheless...

Well, sometimes -- it seems under some heavy load -- our access server
ceases to accept telnets, rlogins, etc -- all stuff listed in inetd.conf.
It happens not very often, but it happens. After, say, telnet, box
answers "Connected to ..." -- and that's all. Sometimes kill -1 <inetd_pid>
helps, sometimes not -- then it is necessary to restart inetd.

It seems that kernel rather then inetd is responsible for that -- inetd -d
in such a case shows nothing, that is connection is not handed to inetd
(though may be I'm wrong here).

netstat -rn showns a lot of sockets in FIN_WAIT state.

To get more information: the box is access server, and it handles not only
calls local to it, but also calls to other access servers, which hand their
calls via rlogin to the central box (which I'm talking about). Other
access servers are remote, and sometimes may go offline due to problems
with links.

I ask only for the proper direction to start searching the reason of the
problem.

--
Alexander Litvin

Duty Postmaster, Lucky Net Ltd.