Date:      17 Apr 2000 23:45:34 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft keys and Alt keys do the wrong thing

Ray Kohler <rjk191@psu.edu> wrote:

> When I use X, the Microsoft key becomes "Meta", and the Alt key does
> nothing.

Not true. Alt becomes "Alt". Which may do nothing in your favorite
applications, but it *is* available as another modifier. Besides,
you'll find that you need Control-Alt-Fx rather than Control-Meta-Fx
to switch back to a text console. Anyway, this is a generic XFree86
issue and in no way particular to FreeBSD.

> When I'm on the console, neither key does anything

For syscons, the "Microsoft keys" have the console keycodes 106,
107, 108, normally mapped to F62, F63, F64. You can remap them any
way you see fit.

> and I have no Meta key. How can I get Alt to be Meta all the time?

Define what you mean by "meta" key.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de