Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 12:49:31 +0000 ()
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        richard@thehub.com.au (Richard J Uren)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations on password management.

> >  Gday!  Loved the cafe last time i was up in brizzy (hope i've got
> >  the right place)
>
> Thats us ;-)

 Neat.. now if i'd know you were a FreeBSD shop i'd have been really
 impressed :)

> We only need something simplistic & we have to store passwords in
> plaintext on the main server (some people use CHAP with PPP).

 Well you can rewrite the authentication part of ppp to use whatever you
 want...   I've done it here with ijppp (we use it for our server side
 ppp) so that it uses the /etc/password file (via system calls)
 rather than /etc/ppp/ppp.secret...

> >  if you implement something too hacked up it may not scale too well,
> >  but if you use something too large then it may just not be the
> >  most cost/time/hastle effective way :)
>
> Thats the trade off alrighty.

 The section in the handbook on kerbos looks interesting.   I don't know
 how it would work across a distributed system, but it might be worth
 looking into a bit closer.

 With just a few machines (like a main server, admin machine, dialup
 server) or like, you might want to investigate the "ssh" port (secure
 shell) that includes scp (secure copy)... you could then just only
 update the password files on the "admin" machine, and scp them
 out to all the nodes...

 Food for thought..

 Regards,
   Peter