Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:48:08 -0500
From:      Jamie Novak <novak@oss.uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Diamond Monster Sound MX300 issue

Hi,

I was torn as to whether or not this should go here or to the
freebsd-hardware list, but I decided on this one due to a comment on
Alexander Matey's page for this card/driver.  Sorry if this is the wrong
place.

I've basically done everything that is described on his page
(http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~matey/au88x0/), but I'm still unable to
get sound working with this card.

The card is found during boot:
pcm0: <Aureal Vortex 8830> port 0xac00-0xac07,0xa800-0xa807 mem 0xed100000-0xed13ffff irq 11 at device 11.0 on pci0

and the devices are all created:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         6 Oct 10 21:52 /dev/audio -> audio0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   4 Oct 10 21:52 /dev/audio0
crw-------  1 root  wheel   24,   0 Oct 10 21:51 /dev/pcaudio
crw-------  1 root  wheel   24, 128 Oct 10 21:51 /dev/pcaudioctl
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         6 Oct 11 21:36 /dev/mixer -> mixer0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   0 Oct 11 21:36 /dev/mixer0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   6 Oct 10 21:52 /dev/sndstat

however, everytime I try to play a sound (wav or mp3, in this case), my
computer locks and reboots a few second later.

I've tried moving the soundcard to a few different slots on the
motherboard to get different IRQs, even though there shouldn't have
been any conflicts, but it hasn't helped any.

(Where it is right now is irq 11.  dmesg says this is also using irq 11:
   pci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> at 7.2 irq 11
I don't think that should be causing any problems, but maybe someone
else here can say for sure?)

Oh yeah, my system is 4.1.1-STABLE and the kernel was reconfiged and
rebuilt after getting the Aureal drivers for the card.  Linux emulation
is enabled.

Does anyone have any idea what may be happening?  I'm a little
frustrated.

Thanks, in advance for any thoughts or suggestions anyone can provide.

- Jamie