Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:38:55 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        John <papalia@udel.edu>
Cc:        schilling <schilling@home.se>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP!!

John wrote:

> <--snip-->
> >> device ex0 at isa? port? net irq?
> >
> >Check the HARDWARE.TXT for the "ie0" device. That seems to cover his
> >NIC. The ex0 is an EtherExpress Pro 10 and not an EtherExpress 16.
>
> Wooooooops.  My apolgies for my misdirection there.  As my boss used to
> tell me... "I'll love reading once I learn how...." =)  Thanks for the
> correction, Kent.

Hey, I personally think computers were developed to keep us all
humble. There is no IMHO unless you make the H for honest. Once you
get good at something you need a daily refresher on being humble. I
was a local site representative doing hot-line support for a Service
Center in Dallas, TX that used CDC-Cybers. I came to believe that the
mind reads what it wants. On numerous occasions, I looked at a
customers file and had them read the line back to me. They still
didn't see the typo until I pointed it out. Their mind knew what was
supposed to be there and that is what it saw. You can't have some one
explain what they did because their error will seem reasonable to you.
A cold look first is much more likely to find dumb errors. If you
don't see anything, then ask them what they did. What caught my eye is
that I have an EtherExpress Pro 100 in my system and the 16 made me
look further. I hadn't seen that before. The LINT file certainly
wasn't helpfull at that point. Fortunately, the HARDWARE.TXT was more
enlightening for the "ie0".

BTW, your most important friend is one who can catch your dumb errors
and not make you feel stupid :). It is a two way street. When they
need help, you have to return the favor.

Cheers,

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html