Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:04:55 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        eculp@mexcom.net.mx, "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Make Release with KERNFORMAT=elf

> I'm not following you here.  You can't use kzip on an ELF kernel, so if
> we cut over to an ELF kernel for the install, you have to gzip it and
> use the new loader.  This will probably push us to the two-disk install.

I'm suggesting that we eventually go to gzip for all kernels and use
the new loader with a loader script, yes.  As far as it all fitting on
one floppy, I wouldn't write that off just yet.  The gzip'd kernel is
about the same size and the loader is 80K, something which could
possibly also be built in a "stripped down" configuration.  It's
nothing I'd want to do immediately, but I think it might be possible
with a little sweat.

- Jordan