Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 20:00:21 -0500
From:      Mike Alich <hostmaster@cctinc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HACKED & SECURITY

I am hoping you can help me...

My server got hacked and there was no evidence in the root .history file
of there actions.  I believe they have a backdoor program on the server
they run.

I have disabled all shell login except myself.
The only inetd running is FTP and qpopper mail server.

I only use ssh for server access

And I have done binary file restores from the live file system cd to the
following:
/bin
/sbin
/usr/bin
/usr/sbin
/usr/libexec

Is there any other file areas (binaries) I need to restore?

I have run diff's on all of the above files and they are good.

Also do you have any ideas of how they got in.  I believe they have been
in for a while now.

I really cant do a full re-install because there is too much custom work
on the server.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!
--