Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:43:25 -0500
From:      Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building RELENG_9 (or RELENG_9_*) on a small machine?

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Darren Pilgrim <
list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com> wrote:

> 2. If I crossbuild for this machine, can I get away with doing buildworld
> on a buildbox, ship the obj tree, and do installworld and mergemaster on
> the VM?  It's been a few enternities since I did a cross build and back
> then it was crossbuilding releases.

It's possible with a caveat: in my experience both the object tree and the
source tree have to have *exactly* the same path on the build host and the
destination.  You can't (for example) build with MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX set to
something, then copy src to /usr/src and obj to /usr/obj on the destination
and have installworld work.